Wednesday 8 February 2012

8th February - Sun

Today is my little brother's birthday. I say little, but really he was taller than me by the time he turned 15. So what I should technically say is that he is my younger brother, but I find that it seems to imply I have more than one sibling. I don't. Well, maybe "technically" I do, but I didn't watch them grow, discover, learn, annoy, laugh, play, hurt and love. I've never met them - and that's a whole different story!

Gavin is now 22, engaged and living in Townsville. I haven't seen him in person since my wedding day... Saturday, 6th March, 2010. It's been nearly 2 years without a hug from one of my favourite people in the world. This makes me sad. I miss him terribly, but feel happy in the knowledge that he is living his life the way he wants to.

It's strange to say it out loud, (or blog it for the public to read)... However, I know there is more than just distance separating us. It is our life choices, experiences and way of dealing with the hurt. Nobody reacts in exactly the same way to circumstances even if we were brought up in the same home, in the same town, with the same parents, same expectations, same values, same morals, same surname. I sometimes wish we were the same - selfishly I just want to hang out with my brother. In reality I know that can't happen. I do, however, have hope that our differences will bring us together again. Like magnets pulling at each other from opposite poles. Maybe. One day...

One of my fondest memories of growing up with my brother is laying on the trampoline in the backyard in the evening, just as the sun began its decent over the horizon, watching the flocks of birds fly in "V"s across the purpling sky. We'd count and laugh and bicker over who had counted correctly (me, of course!) before heading inside for dinner.

This post and picture is dedicated to the Birthday Boy.


So Happy Birthday Gavin, my brother. My distant friend. I love you. I miss you. And I hope all you wish for comes true for you this year.

Love,
BzeeJ x

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post bebe. It is tough what is happening with your brother. I'm sure he knows you love him though and will be there for him if needed.

    ReplyDelete