Tuesday 14 February 2012

14th February - Heart

Oh boy! I wonder if it was actually a coincidence that today's photo has something to do with Valentine's Day??? No? Not a coincidence? You don't say!

Hubby and I don't really do Valentine's day. It's not that we're against it, well at least I'm not, I just don't like taking a part in the whole; Buy! Consume! Publicly display your love! One. Day. A. Year. thing. I think it's wasteful. Another "Hallmark Holiday" to spend money on your loved ones rather than mark the special occasion just by being there. With them. In the moment.

As an acknowledgement of today, I made him these hearts just as a simple gesture of my affection for him. Made from an old dress and a polo shirt I used to wear. Recycling at it's finest!

 

It's nice to recognise Valentine's day as a reminder to appreciate your partner and tell him/her you love them. However, I tell my husband, "I love you" every day.... at least 3 times. This may be considered too much by some and not enough by others, but it works for us.

Romance for me is not something that should only be shown on a significant date once a year. Though I know romance can be interpreted as different things to different people.

For some, it is about receiving chocolates and flowers and a random soft toy. For others, jewellery an expensive dinner out with French wine is their ideal. There are those who enjoy exciting adventures - hot air balloon rides, white water rafting and travelling the globe. And then there are people like me, who enjoy lounging on the couch watching a DVD, eating take away and maybe going for a drive to Baskin Robbins for dessert. May I add that hubby and I don't necessarily have to be sitting on the same couch let alone cuddling for me to feel the love.

Don't get me wrong, I love chocolates and jewellery and flowers and adventure as much as the next person, and I get my fair share (and then some!) of these things from my husband. It's just that most of the time, him remembering to take the rubbish out on bin night is more meaningful to me than flowers, which look really pretty, but will die in a few days and make me feel bad for throwing them out. Or chocolates, which taste so good, but make me feel guilty about indulging too much. He is showing me that he is dedicated to keeping his promise of completing his chore each week. Contributing to maintaining the home we have created together because he knows we are a partnership.

He is loyal and steadfast. He is my rock, who keeps me grounded when I fly too far from reality.
He is my Real Love.

Okay, so I got a bit sappy there at the end. I can't help it! I just love that man so much!!

What are your thoughts on Valentine's day?
BzeeJ x

No comments:

Post a Comment