Wednesday 11 April 2012

What a strange system...

Due to a few different circumstances, I allowed my Working with Children Blue Card to expire a year ago.

I have since been looking for jobs that do not require me to hold a blue card. To no avail.

I finally called the Commission for Children and Young People today to see if I could renew or re-apply for a blue card. I was informed that unless I am employed, I cannot apply for a blue card. However, all the job ads I've seen require the applicant to hold a blue card (for obvious reasons) ... Ummm...???

Catch22 we meet again! Just like we can't hire you because you don't have enough experience. Or we can't hire you because you are overqualified. Now we can't hire you because you do not possess the required card, but you can't get it until we hire you! Argghh!!!

*headdesk*

*facepalm*

Hopeless as ever,

BzeeJ x

2 comments:

  1. I have an ... idea!

    Here in Victoria, volunteers are required to have a WCC. In fact, should you volunteer at a Victorian school, you don't even have to pay for one, you can get it for nix.

    Might be worth investigating if you can fit some kid- related volunteer work in and get a WCC that way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems strange to me. I had to get one when I first moved to Brisbane. I was doing volunteer work at a PCYC that required me to have a blue card. I was given one and was defintely not working at the time

    ReplyDelete